Monday, June 22, 2015

The Consciousness Series: Mushroom Forest


Psilocybin mushrooms, also known as psychedelic mushrooms, magic mushrooms and shrooms, are mushrooms that contain the psychedelic compounds psilocybin and psilocin.

The psychedelic drug in magic mushrooms may have lasting medical and spiritual benefits, according to new research by Ronald Griffiths from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Maryland.

A 2011 study involved 18 healthy adults, average age 46, who participated in five, eight-hour sessions with either psilocybin at varying doses or placebo. Nearly all the volunteers were college graduates and 78% participated regularly in religious activities; all were interested in spiritual experience.

Ultimately, Griffiths and his colleagues want to see if the same kind of psychedelic experience could help ease anxiety and fear over the long term in cancer patients or others facing death. Researchers are also studying whether transcendental experiences could help spur recovery from addiction and treat other psychological problems like depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Fourteen months after participating in the study, 94% of those who received the drug said the experiment was one of the top five most meaningful experiences of their lives; 39% said it was the single most meaningful experience.


Prints available at http://www.jeremymannino.com/

2 comments:

  1. I did some shrooms back in the day. I was NOT in a study, to say the least. They were pretty spectacular. Much better than pot. Never did anything else but settled on pot. Easier to get, cheaper. But shrooms were awesome.

    Once again, I love that you show us your model picture, and the finished work. It is awesome!!! And perfectly captures your thoughts on the whole experience.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have?! OMG can you email me your experience, I would love to hear it!! I haven't had the opportunity to try shrooms yet but I cannot wait for that day to come. I've been looking for studies in my area looking for volunteers but I haven't come across anything. I found pictures of the room where the subjects were put in the Johns Hopkins study and the room looks so zen!

    I've only experimented with pot for the same reasons. Where did you get shrooms the time you did them?

    Ahh thanks man!! I thought it would be fun to show the final drawing along with the model picture and I'm glad you enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete