I saw the new Wizard of Oz!! I was so beyond excited to see it last night. Some of my favorite memories as a little kid are watching the original Wizard of Oz with my family and friends. I’ve always been fascinated by the world of Oz, the witches, the creepy flying monkeys, the funny little munchkin creatures and the unlikely but lovable crew that Dorothy meets along the yellow brick road.
The new movie was so wonderful. It has the perfect mix of humor, scary, action, fantasy and adventure conjumbled into it. Especially the little china girl, she is hilarious and so sassy.
SPOIL ALERT. I wouldn’t advise reading any further if you haven’t seen the movie yet…
I loved how the movie began in black and white, just like the original did. James Franco did such a good job playing Oz, not to mention he’s so incredibly sexy and has the cutest, quirky smile.
During the movie I couldn’t help but pick up on Biblical themes that I found to be interesting. First and foremost, the entire movie is revolved around the battle of Good vs. Evil.
The characters of Oz loosely represent different characters from the Bible. For example,
Glinda(The Good Witch of the South): God
Oz(The ‘Wizard’): Jesus
Evanora(The Wicked Witch of the East): Satan
Theodora(The Wicked Witch of the West): Example of a naïve person tricked into evil.
1. Evanora deceives Theodora with an apple, just as Satan did with Eve in the Garden of Eden.
2. Oz is referred to as the Prophet who fell from the sky to save the people of Oz, just like Jesus who came from Heaven to save us from our sins.
3. Glinda’s bubble fortress surrounding her castle reminded me of the gates of Heaven. Only good souls are able to pass through.
4. Oz turns to a book for guidance to defeat the Wicked Witches. Aka The Bible
5. Glinda banishes Evanora from the Emerald City and strips her from her magic, similar to God banishing Satan from Heaven.
Overall, I give this movie a 9 out of 10 because it fucking rocked! The acting was great, the characters and animation were so beautiful…and speaking of beautiful. James Franco. You should go see it if you haven't already! Such an epic prequel to the classic.