Friday, April 8, 2011

Mellow Mushroom

Whenever I come across a picture of a child with cancer, whether its on TV, on the internet or some other media source, I feel so sad and guilty. However, when you see things through a screen, it really doesn't do itself justice, as opposed to seeing there children in person. Never in my life had I seen a child in a public setting who was going through chemotherapy.

I had been meaning to run over to Mellow Mushroom to buy a shirt. I was giving an informative speech on magic mushrooms in my speech class, so I thought having a shirt to wear while I presented would be cool...plus I just really wanted a shirt. Ha

Once I entered, a young mom and her son were talking to the Hostess, so I patiently waited behind them. The young boy was holding his mother's hand and inquisitively looking at the psychedelic artwork on the side of the greeter's podium, which was at his eye level. He turned around, looked up at me and gave me the biggest smile. He smiled with his eyes, it's a rare smile to receive from a stranger nowadays. I returned a smile as my heart literally dropped.

I know staring is rude, but I couldn't stop myself from doing so. He looked like he was about five or six years old, bald and had a small tube that traveled into his nose, that I presumed to be his oxygen tube. I watched him as he giggled with his mom and smiled at all the random people who passed him. He had such a vibrant little soul. I paid for my shirt, left the restaurant and ran to my car. Dudes, I'm not usually an emotional person, but this little man left a lasting impression on me. I sat in my car and cried. Watching the amount of pure happiness and innocence that boy had, regardless of all the hardships I'm sure he has gone through in his short life, made me appreciate life a lot more and everything I've been blessed with.

I have never had any serious health issues and I can't imagine how horrible that must be for a child and their family to endure. 

“It's not the size of the person in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the person.”
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh (sorry been saying this a lot lately), but I love this idea. Need any help on it, dude I'm so down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should be a like button on these posts. Or rather, a love button on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very moving.
    You don't have to go to Africa like Hollywood celebrities do to find kids to whom you can bring even a little joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AGD: You are an inspiration. Since your siblings work at PwC they can give you advice on how to set up your foundation as a non-profit so you won't have to pay taxes on your proceeds. If they can't. I know a little something about that and can assist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definitely be buying your art for that cause. This post just enforces my opinion that your a really good person. Not many people our age would have been that affected by seeing that child. Not many people in general. btw I love ur quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Discreet Bi- Keep the omg's coming! haha Thanks, I will keep that in mind! Starting a foundation is brand new to me.

    Ceedsmith- When a like button feature comes out for blogger, I'll be sure to throw it in my posts! haha Thanks bud

    Anonymous- Yup, so true. I may not be a genius or the scientist who discovers the cure, but I will be someone who brings some happiness to childrens lives who deserve an extra smile

    fan of casey- Thank you so much! I never even thought about taxes and all that yucky stuff. I'll have to talk to them about it, or my dad, he's a lawyer. But if worse comes to worse, its good to know I have a network. Someone who can help me out! Thanks again :)

    mark5150- Yay!! Oh man that just made me smile. I guess I just want to see a change in the world and I am going to do something and start changing it myself instead of waiting for other people to do it. Ahh thanks, I love quotes. I could read them all day long if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. do you know who the little girl in the picture is?

    ReplyDelete