Monday, November 29, 2010

My Myers Briggs Personality Results

One of the courses I'm enrolled in this semester is called Career Planning. I needed to take a free elective, so I decided to take one that would possibly help me determine my career path...because that is kind of important.

My teacher assigned us to take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality test. It was an online test and I sat at my laptop and answered every single question (all 500 of them) as honest as possible. For each column you possess one of the personality types.

The first column covers: Where you focus your attention
Extraverts(E)- People who prefer Extraversion tend to focus on the outer world of people and activity.
Introverts(I)- People who prefer Introversion tend to focus on the inner world of ideas and impressions.

The second column covers: The way you take in information
Sensing(S)- People who prefer Sensing tend to take in information through the five senses and focus on the here and now.
Intuition(N)- People who prefer Intuition tend to take in information from patterns and the big picture and focus on future possibilities.

The third column covers: The way you make decisions
Thinking(T)- People who prefer Thinking tend to make decisions based primarily on logic and on objective of cause and effect.
Feeling(F)- People who prefer Feeling tend to make decisions based primarily on values and on the subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns

The fourth column covers: How you deal with the outer world
Judging(J)- People who prefer Judging tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and want to have things settled.
Perceiving(P)- People who prefer Perceiving tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and want to keep their options open.

About a week later the results came in...

I'm an INFJ! Out of the 16 personalities, this is the rarest personality type, making up 1% of the world's population. The description for the INFJ Personality is...
  • Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions.
  • Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others
  • Conscientious and committed to their firm values
  • Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good
  • Organized and decisive in implementing their vision
  • Often insightful, creative, visionary, symbolic, idealistic, conceptual, complex and deep
'They value the depth and complexity of their insights and creative gifts as well as those of others. They want to see these insights realized in the world'.

My blog and artwork immediately came to mind. :)

7 comments:

  1. I've taken that test a couple times. I usually get INTP or INTJ. I forget what that says about me, but I remember being fairly satisfied. Found this interesting website that has a chart describing relationships between people based on their types. I think it's bs for the most part. still interesting to read for fun though.
    http://www.socionics.com/rel/relcht.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, good for you that you are not wasting your talent!! and you look cute in the photo....can we exchange email address?? and I have my own blog too...(http://caturont910519.blogspot.com)

    Wish you the best in everythings...you deserve it, totally. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGD: I'm an ISTJ: Inspector -- which fits with my CPA career. It's useful to know your personality type since it helps with self-awareness. I'm eager to see those pictures you drew. Who knew at one point in your life beneath your smiling face was a young man struggling to accept himself. Now your outlook on life is so much brighter and really matches your outward appearance. Who could look upon you and not smile back? Not me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AGD: The nickname for an INFJ is Counselor -- and it seems you would do well as an artist.

    www.keirsey.com/4temps/counselor.asp

    The Counselor (INFJ) is a more private person than the Teacher. They, too, can be found in the field of education as a professor , teacher, counselor, or educational consultant. Sometimes they feel a strong calling toward the religious life as clergy, nun, or director of religious education. Social service jobs, such as social worker, social scientist, or mediator can fit their needs. Some Counselors work in human services, marketing, or as a job analyst. Others are drawn to the arts as a novelist, designer, or artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! I just wanted to say, I started reading your blog this afternoon and haven't been able to stop! I so identify with so many of your experiences. Your coming out story in particular was incredible by the way. Anyway, after reading so much of your stuff and then seeing this, I felt inclined to comment, seeing as I'm an INFJ as well. Perhaps that's why I have felt so connected to the stories in your blog, hah! Anyway, just wanted to say, love the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fellow INFJ! I'm so thrilled you resonate with my blog and connect with the experiences/emotions I've felt. It's liberating to have this blog, which acts as a podium, to connect with guys who have endured similar situations...past or present. Thank you so much for commenting and spreading the love and good vibes!!

      Delete
    2. Hey, just saw this! Don't know why I don't get notified about replies haha.

      A lot of what you say definitely hits close to home, especially as someone who is just in the early stages of coming out. So thanks for sharing your experiences! You might have heard that many INFJ's tend to feel that no one really understands them, while they themselves tend to be constantly trying to understand others. Anyway, it's great to hear all of this from someone who probably perceives the world in a relatively similar way!

      Delete